New Hampshire

Department of

Resources and Economic Development

Division of Forests and Lands

P.O. Box 1856

Concord, NH 03302-1856

(603) 271-2217




  1. What is going to be burned?

Brush cannot exceed 5 inches in diameter.

2. Where is it going to be burned?

3. When do you want to burn?

Date, time of day, no burning 9:00 am. to 5:00 p.m. unless raining.

4. Is material to be burned material resulting from the demolition of buildings? Air Pollution approval required?

  1. What do you have for fire protection?
  2. How much help will you have during burn?
  3. Do you own the land where you plan to burn? If not, do you have written landowner approval?
  4. If your fire is declared a nuisance, will you be able to extinguish same?

Air Pollution officials could require fire to be extinguished if one person complains about smoke.

9. Are there any tires or tubes in the material to be burned?

10. Notice! Permits issued during rain are void if the rain stops, your fire must be extinguished at that time.

Be sure your fire is completely and totally extinguished.

A buried fire is not an extinguished fire.





EVERY person, firm or corporation who kindles or causes to be kindled any fire or shall burn or cause to be burned any material in or near the woodlands, or where fire could communicate to the woodlands, except when the ground is covered with snow where you are burning SHALL obtain a written fire permit from the forest fire warden in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.




Camp or cooking fires may be kindled only with written permission of the landowner or agent and a written fire permit from the forest fire warden. or his authorized agent in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.

A camp or cooking fire is a suitable fire in a suitable place for the purpose of cooking a meal.

A gas grill or charcoal fire in a container up and off the ground kindled by landowner or with landowners permission does not require a written fire permit.



"OPEN BURNING" the burning of any material wherein products of combustion are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed container.

"COMPLETELY EXTINGUISHED" to put out so that fire emits no smoke, heat or flames.

"INCINERATOR" a barrel type container that is solid less than 7 cubic feet in size and no holes larger than 1/2" diameter and covered with a screen cover with holes no larger than 1/4".



Chapter Part Res 5600

A written fire permit shall be Summarily Suspended if any of the following fire permit restrictions are violated, and an Official Notice or a Summons shall be issued.

If a fire is kindled or material is burned between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. unless actually raining except for commercial permits.

If a fire is kindled or material is burned at an unspecified date, time, place, or if material not specified on the written fire permit is burned.

If a fire is kindled or material is burned when weather is unfavorable in the opinion of the issuing authority or proclamation closing the woodlands is in force.

If a fire is kindled or material is burned when specified assistance or suppression equipment is not present to control the fire.

If permittee fails to keep the fire under control, or if the Director. Division of Forests and Lands, or his authorized agents or Warden feel that the material being burned is causing a hazard endangering life and/or property.

If material being burned violates any state law, rule, or regulation or local ordinance and or New Hampshire Air Resources Division regulation regarding open burning.

All open fires shall be consistently attended until the fire is completely out. A buried fire is not considered extinguished.

Fires kindled and material burned shall be not less then 50 feet from any structure and provisions shall be made to prevent a fire from spreading to within 50 feet of any structure. Fires in approver containers shall be not less then 25 feet from any structure.

You must be 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.



RSA 227-L:17,V

ANY person causing or kindling a fire without fire permit from the Forest Fire Warden, or his authorized agent, when such permit is required and any person by whose negligence or the negligence of his agents any fire is caused. shall be liable in a civil action for the payment to the town, state or United States or any or all of the same of expenses incurred by the Forest fire Warden or Deputy Warden in attending or extinguishing such fire.



RSA 227-L:17,VII

ANY person violating the permit law and its pro visions, and any person who willfully or recklessly kindles a fire that endangers woodlands, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $2,000 and/or up to one (1) year in jail, or both.

This is a synopsis of the laws, rules and regulations contained in RSA 227-L. If you have questions, please contact your local Forest Fire Warden, your local Fire Department or your local Forest Ranger.